Over its first four years Klenengan Pujangga Laras has changed and developed. The following are its current characteristics, decided upon through collaboration between the founding committee and the participating musicians:
- The klenengan is held once a month in a variety of rotating locations, and runs from 8 pm to 2 am
- The klenengan is open for all Javanese players-it is not by invitation.
- Players rotate around on instruments as they like
- The first 3-4 pieces are agreed upon the month before by a small group of elder musicians, and notation is prepared
- After the first 3-4 pieces the klenengan is completely spontaneous.
- Foreign students do not play at the klenengan
At present, US$650-750 is spent at each klenengan on:
- Honoraria for musicians
- Catered snacks and dinner
- A minimal amount for administration